Monday, June 13, 2011

My first day as a Blue Jay

I arrived at the Dunedin, Florida complex, the spring training facility of the Blue Jays and went in to start a long day of physicals and meetings.  The complex is unbelievable, 3 locker rooms in the building, huge training room, weight lifting facility, class room (believe it or not the foreign guys are required to take english class), cafeteria, offices, and an equipment room.  In our locker room there is a ping pong table and TV's just to hang out, its pretty cool. Physicals took 3 hours, testing things from arm flexibility, to eye sight, and how my heart looked.  Meeting began and we met all of the coaches and coordinators for the organization and they explained the rules and philosophies that Toronto abides by.  Finally I finished my physicals and meetings and got my first gear from the team. I then signed my contract...My first professional contract, what a feeling! IT's OFFICIAL! Shorts, shirts, a hat and I was ready to practice.  We went out to the field and started our first day.  All the pitchers met on field three of the complex (there are 5 fields all right next to each other) and the head pitching coordinator took us through the organizations throwing program and drills.  I was a little anxious but just because it was my first day of professional camp.  We began to go through different bunt plays and pick offs and what not and that carried right into the afternoon until my first day on the field was done.  I came into the club house and sat at my locker just trying to take it all in, but hunger was definitely one of the things on my mind.  I went to the cafeteria in the building and the team chefs had lunch ready.  I ate and head back to the hotel with my first day at the office under my belt.  I got back to the hotel and took a nice nap, went down to the lobby where we were served our dinner by the chefs consisting of chicken parm, lasagna, caesar salad and a dessert table.  I ate  my fair share again and went back to the room for the night, feeling good and full, watched the Mavericks win the NBA finals and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment