Monday, June 13, 2011

Draft Day

Well, I sat at home on June 12th all day in front of my computer watching as name after name was called by various Major League Baseball teams waiting, and waiting, and waiting to get the phone call and see my name come up on the screen and find out where I was heading.  The Pirates had called the night before and I had talked to the Phillies, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Nationals the week before, so my confidence was high.  My mom and dad were there with me and Zach (my brother) and Kelsey (my girlfriend) along with my friends had been talking to me giving me encouragement over the past couple days, all of us positive my name was going to show up. Rounds kept going by and my name wasn't being called, and then round 50, the last round of the draft rolled around and I knew this was the one.  The last pick was announced, the draft came to a close, and my name was no where to be seen.  Everyone began to get down, including myself and texts and calls started going out that it didn't work out.  Not 5 minutes later, our sorrows turned to smiles as the scout for the Blue Jays called apologizing and saying that he had been putting my name in, but the organization kept deciding to take other people.  That conversation turned into the Blue Jays wanting to sign me to a contract right then and there, I agreed and I received my plane ticket through email 10 minutes later.  Everyone started celebrating, sad tears turned to happy ones and the party began.  Dad and I went to pick up some Canadian beer (what else would we celebrate the occasion with) and then Kelsey came over along with Age and some of my friends from Temple baseball including Raf, Dave Hall, Moller, Phil, and some neighbors.  We were up until late that morning and had a blast the whole time.  WHAT A FEELING! I just became a professional baseball player! My life long dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment